May 20, 2013

If I ever find people again, I hope one of them is a dentist. My raid on the vending machines was a success. Who knew how tough it is to open those things? I scored some sodas and bottled water along with dozens of candy bars and some chips and other candies.

I scoured the visitor center, but I didn't really see anything useful. They did have some reproductions of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I took them and put them in the glove box. I'm not sure why, but I guess if everything is gone I just want something to remember what we had.

The driving has been pretty easy as I crossed Whyoming. The main problem has been fuel. Vehicles here are few and far between. I was afraid I was going to have to give up the car and walk when I found an abandoned truck. Luckily for me, it had a big tank and was mostly full. I was able to totally fill my car and my gas cans and even left some fuel for the next guy to come along. If there is a next guy.

The radio signal was coming out of Casper, but I kept well north of there. I did cross over I-25 and saw a sign for it though. The road looked clear and it would have been a straight shot to what the announcements are now calling "DMA Survivor Collection Centers." It was tempting, but I had to go with gut.

It was nearing sunset when I reach Cody. During my drive, I hadn't really thought about where I was going to sleep. But even before the sun had gone down, the temperature had already started to drop. I wasn't sure I wanted to spend a night without a fire in the woods, but sleeping in town didn't appeal to me either. I had just about decided to forgo sleep and drive through the night when the answer presented itself to me. I was passing through the Yellowstone National Forrest when I saw a watchtower silhouetted against the sky. It must have been for spotting fires or something, but it was like a little cabin on giant stilts.

I threw some food into my backpack, slung the shotgun on shoulder and made the climb. Much to my delight, the tower cabin had a propane heater and cook stove, allowing me to relax in relative comfort after eating a warmed up can of soup. There was also a map, giving me my first good idea of where I was and where I was going.

With luck, I'll reach Missoula tomorrow. What I'm going to do when I get there is still the big question. I don't have anyway to reach my friend and I'm not even sure that's the town he lives in. At least I'm safe for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment